Water keeps your body hydrated and refreshed and helps maintain your skin’s elasticity. People who drink large amounts of water are less likely to suffer from scars, wrinkles, and soft lines and they won’t show as many signs of aging as those who drink little amounts of water.
7 ways drinking water can improve your skin:
- Sagging skin – Rapid shedding of fat or extreme weight loss may cause sagging skin. Many people tighten their skin by water fasting, but this is an unhealthy method and can actually do grave damage to your skin. By drinking ample amounts of water day-in and day-out, you can slowly tighten your skin and maintain a healthy glow.
- pH Balance – It is important to maintain a good pH balance in your skin. The pH of any substance ranges from 0-14 with 14 containing the most alkaline and 0 being highly acidic. A pH value of 7 is neutral and is the exact pH value of pure water. The reason you need to drink more water is to ensure that your pH value is balanced, giving you healthy skin.
- Flush toxins – Drinking water will flush out the toxins in your body, especially the harmful toxins that can take a toll on your overall health. Many people go on juice diets in order to flush out toxins, but maintaining a healthy diet and drinking water will help just the same.
- Reduce wrinkles – As you grow older, it is tougher for your body to retain water, so by inputting more water into your system, you are helping your body and your skin stay hydrated.
- Prevents pimples and acne – Certain kinds of toxins will clog your small pores on your epidermis and can cause issues like acne and pimples. By drinking more water, you ensure that you won’t suffer from severe pimples and acne. The more hydrated your skin, the less your pores will clog.
- Moisturize – Not only should you drink a lot of water, eight glasses a day to be exact, but you should also use it to clean your skin thoroughly. It is great for your skin to cleanse your body with water to clear and unclog pores to keep your skin moist and healthy.
- Elasticity – If you have a lack of elasticity in your skin, it may be that you are dehydrated.
To check your skin’s elasticity, gently pinch your skin and see if it bounces back. If it doesn’t bounce back, you need to drink more water to hydrate yourself and to plump up your cells. Areas such as the skin under your eyes can become dark if you lost elasticity and are not hydrated.
How much water should you drink? The amount of water you should drink in a day depends on your metabolism, weight, height and daily routine. Generally, adults should drink between 5 and 8 glasses of water everyday, and even more if needed. Always make sure you are drinking at least six glasses a day to stay hydrated and healthy.